Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday blood counts...

Kaidan had labs again today...not really any change. Hematocrit is 38.5, platelets 299, white blood count 1.8, and ANC 300. I had a big scare this morning because when Kaidan brushed her teeth her gums started bleeding like crazy. I know this isn't a big deal to anyone, but for a cancer patient it's HUGE. Bleeding gums is a sign of low platelets and I knew if Kaidan's platelets were 399 Friday they should not be low today. That would be a bad sign. So, it was nerve racking waiting for labs to come back, but I was very, VERY relieved to see that her platelets are still in the normal range, even though they have dropped. She must have something irritating her gums, so I have had her using an antiseptic mouthwash to see if it helps. Her gums have never bled before, so it scared her...she's okay now though.

I had the nurse leave her port accessed because her temperature has been between 99.2 and 99.6 all day, Kaidan's baseline temp is 96.9-97.5. I figured if we took it out she'd get a fever, but if we leave it in she won't. :) Isn't that the way it always goes?

She's doing okay, I don't think she feels fabulous, but she'd never say otherwise. She stayed home from school, so that says a lot. Anyway, they are keeping her off chemo until her clinic appointment next Wednesday, so we'll see what her blood is doing then.

I'll update next Wednesday unless something changes before then. Thanks for all the love and support. It means everything to us.

No comments: