Wednesday, April 13, 2011

my daily life...

My daily life is OUT OF CONTROL!! I feel so ill-equipped right now. My time is completely consumed with driving everyone everywhere, phone calls to doctors/bill collectors, researching medical things on the internet, driving everyone everywhere, sitting at doctor appointments, and driving everyone everywhere! We seriously have about 2-3 doctor appointments a week between Nate and Kaidan and we only have one car, so I wake up in the morning and take Nate to work, then I take the girls to school, then I pick up whoever has an appointment and get them there, then I take them back to wherever they came from, then I pick up the girls from school, then Nate from work, then it's on to soccer practices and games....blah, blah, blah...don't even mention adding on the normal errands like the bank and grocery store. I once read a sign that said, "If I'm a stay at home mom, then why am I always in my car?" That is exactly how I'd describe my days the past few weeks, and I am not happy about it (neither is my bank account with gas prices right now)!


Anyway, enough whining...


Nate went in yesterday for his biopsy of the thyroid nodule. First, they did an ultrasound to get a better look at the nodule and it turns out that there are lots of them! This is entirely normal, most people have little cyst-like things on their thyroid. Luckily, after the long ultrasound and discussions between the radiologist and Nate's doctor, the decision was made to hold off on the biopsy. They decided that none of the nodules looked suspicious and he was okay to wait. They did, however, find another worrisome spot. It's most likely an enlarged lymph node near his collar bone. I have spoken with the doctor, and he reassured me that, even though Google is concerned, I don't need to be :) We will watch this "spot" and do another ultrasound in 6 months to make sure it isn't growing. They are also running some blood tests to check Nate's thyroid, parathyroid, calcium, cholesterol, etc, etc, etc... I'll keep you posted, but for now, he's good :)

Kaidan has not been doing well. She is in a lot of pain again, throughout her entire body. She is experiencing tons of pain in her ankles and knees, but she is also complaining of being very tired and "just not feeling right". Today, her entire body hurts - it's even painful to the touch, which is weird. She has not been to school all week. We had a good, long talk last night about all of this and it went a totally different direction than I thought it would. I told her that if she is in too much pain to go to school then she cannot play soccer anymore either. I explained that I want her to get better and feel good and that this was the only way that could happen. I thought she would say she's not going to quit soccer and she'll start going to school, but instead, she started crying and said she knows she needs to quit soccer. She said the pain is so bad that she will stop playing soccer - I feel so, so bad for her. At the same time, I feel completely incompetent. I don't know what to believe - does it hurt all the time, but she only tells us sometimes because she doesn't want to miss out on EVERYTHING, or does it really not hurt that bad and she only tells us when she doesn't want to do something? I really do believe her, you can see that she doesn't feel well. I really have no idea what to do. We are working on getting her in to see a rheumatologist and another doctor for her AVN, so hopefully we can get some answers. If she's still home from school tomorrow for pain she will be seeing her pediatrician - I'll keep you posted.

Join our team, TEAM AWESOME, for the 1st ever SLC CureSearch walk!! It's $10 to register and kids under 15 are free to register. We'd love to have a HUGE team of supporters, walking in honor of the Awesome Kaidan!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Your post breaks my heart. I don't know why this is going on but I will keep praying for you and your wonderful family. I'm so sorry for the pain poor Kaidan is having!