Tuesday, March 22, 2011

where to start???

I have SO MUCH to write about, I don't even know where to start! So...I'll start with the kids and go from there :)

Preslee has pneumonia...again...she seems to get it EVERY stinkin' year! I feel so bad for her, because she is miserable. She has been sick since Thursday, but started feeling better Sunday and Monday - but she woke up today with a fever again, so I took her in - I'm glad I did because she needed to be started on antibiotics.

Cash is good, although I'm sure he'll get sick eventually - he's the only one who hasn't been down with anything yet.

Porter is also good, but he did get RSV a few weeks ago. He was super sick for several days - and it was torture for all of us - especially at night! He's completely back to normal now, and he's just lucky he's so dang cute because he is hell on wheels ;)

Kaidan...where do I start with her?? She was having so many problems a month or so ago and then she came down with pneumonia, so that seemed to take over. Since then, she's done better, but she's still not 100%. She has seen the neurologist for her headaches - which just left me confused - we left that appointment with strict instructions to not treat her headaches with Ibuprofen more than 3 times a week, never to give her Oxycodone for them, and to not let her takes naps (which she still does daily...yes...she is 9). We also left with an anti-depressant, which is supposed to help headaches. I haven't given her that one yet though, because it makes me nervous. I also haven't made her stop taking naps...she's tired! I don't know what to do about all of that. Plus, you add all of the other aches and pains she has and it's virtually impossible not to treat her with Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and Oxycodone. I don't know what to do, so I'm just trying to make her ride it out without meds - but I'm torn because I don't feel like I should make her be in pain all the time. UGGH!!

We were able to get her some custom insoles and new shoes (thanks to Grandpa!!), so I'm hoping that her pain in the ankles and knees will start to go away. She has been complaining non-stop today about the backs of her knees again, so I really don't know if it has anything to do with the ankles or not. Her heels have really been bothering her as well.

She goes in tomorrow to see the cardiologist for some chest pains she keeps having. She will also have an echocardiogram. Next week she sees the GI doctor to follow up with all of "those" issues and then it will be time for her oncology check-up again. Whoever told us that we were "done with cancer" in November 2009 was insane. I have felt more stressed out the last 8 weeks than I have in a LONG time. I feel like I'm totally losing control...again...

I feel like I am bombarded daily with issues that I don't know how to handle. I don't know what to do when everybody is feeling crummy and as soon as one of them starts feeling better, someone else comes down with something. Add all of Kaidan's issues on top of that and I am going CRAZY! I'm not even kidding - I am seriously so overwhelmed. Is this normal?? Is it just how life is when you have 4 kids??

On an AMAZING note...I was able to go to Washington DC with Kristin, a friend and fellow cancer mom, last week for CureSearch's Childhood Cancer Awareness and Advocacy Days. It was so amazing and I just wish I could devote hours and hours of my life to this cause. I hope that one day there will be a cure for children with cancer - a cure that doesn't destroy their quality of life along the way. I really thought I'd feel like writing all about this tonight, but I'm too tired. I will update on Kaidan and the other kiddos later this week and then hopefully I can gather my thoughts on DC and tell you all about that as well!

Have a great week and thanks for listening to me whine!

4 comments:

vicky said...

Oh Mystee...I can really feel for you on your frustrations with the headaches. My Lauren has also struggled with this. We have seen neurology and let's just say they aren't my favorite group of doctors. I don't feel like they give us "real" solutions. Lauren takes a nap EVERY SINGLE DAY also. Let's talk sometime...

Briana said...

what in the world? i'm confused at what the neurologists told you, too! boy, i'm sorry you have so much to deal with. a house full of sick people is awful - and kaidan isn't your average sick person either.

Kristin said...

Of course you are overwhelmed!! No, your life is NOT normal! I agree with what Vicky said. Those are not real solutions at all. It just buys them time and makes them feel like they've given you "something". I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. After all you have been through, you deserve a little normal. I hope it visits you soon.

Chelsea said...

First off, the trip looks AMAZING!! I'm so glad you were able to go. You ladies are PERFECT for the job!

Second, I'm so sorry about Kaidan's headaches. It is so unfair that she is struggling with this! Those neurology Doc's are off their bonkers! I'm hoping you will get some answers soon, knowing you, you WILL!!!