Sunday, March 6, 2011

spring...please come :)

This will just be a quick update - I feel like I need about 10 more hours in the day - with my kids sleeping - just so I can accomplish part of my to do list...

Porter is doing so much better. I think when he tested positive for RSV we were at the worst of it, so it got quite a bit better a few days later. He still has a lingering cough, but I imagine that will last awhile.

Kaidan is not doing so well :( I feel so bad for her because she and Preslee just started a new school and she has only been able to attend 1 day! It seems like she has been sick or miserable from pain FOREVER!! It's been about 4 weeks since she has felt "good". I don't even consider her good as a great thing, but it's better than she has been this last month or so. She was running a pretty good fever for 8+ days, so I took her in to the pediatrician Friday night. They tested her for everything: strep, a UTI, the flu, etc. Everything was negative so we headed up to PCMC for a chest x-ray and blood work. Her chest x-ray showed the possible beginnings of pneumonia and her labs were all over the place, so she's now on 2 antibiotics to hopefully clear it all up. I'm hoping we caught it early enough that she'll make a quick recovery. She spiked a fever around 1:00 this morning, but she's been okay through the day today. If she's still fevering by tomorrow I'm supposed to take her back in :(

Of course, I have a twinge of anxiety going on because I didn't like that her hematocrit dropped almost 5 points from last week and her platelets were down almost 100 as well. Her white blood count went up a little, but it's still in the normal range. She also had many abnormal things on the differential (where they look at the blood cells). I can't remember all of them, but I know there was poikliocytosis, high neutrophils, bands, and a few others that were off. I know all of this can be easily explained by pneumonia, but unfortunately I also know what else could explain it. I am happy that she hasn't had a fever today and I'm optimistic that we'll make it through the night and all will be well. It's just a little of that "crazy cancer mom" seeping out. I worry about her - all the time - but especially when it seems like she's been sick forever - it's exhausting (physically and emotionally) to live this life. Sometimes I hate what cancer has done to my family.

Everyone else is healthy and I'm hoping it stays that way. I've sanitized and scrubbed and sanitized some more. I cannot wait for spring so that I can get the kids outside more and off the couch!

2 comments:

Briana said...

amen, please come spring! probably a plea in vain today when snow is in the forecast! :) oh well.

i'm so sorry to hear that kaidan is still not doing well. i would be freaked out too if platelets/crit were changing much. kaidan is still in our prayers - keep us updated!

Chelsea said...

WOW. What a month you guys have had! Poor Kaidan, it is so unfair that she has to be in so much pain all the time. We are praying she kicks this nasty stuff she's had going on and that everyone can start feeling better ASAP! We sure love you guys! XOXOXO