Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Birthday Kaidan...

Wow!! Kaidan turned 9 today! She is growing up too fast.

I have to look back on the day she was born. It was December 3rd (obviously) and I wasn't due until December 21st. I had my regular check-up and my doctor told me I was in labor and already dilated to a 5... The rest is obvious. She was born at 8:08 p.m. and she weighed 6 pounds 3 ounces. (I wish I had pictures, but I'm too tired to find them and scan them in - but I can promise you she was super cute!!)

I can remember her 1st birthday. She had a twinkle in her eye from the time she was a baby and you just knew she was up to something. She's always been a little (okay...a LOT) on the mischievous side :)

I remember her 6th birthday. She was in the middle of the toughest round of chemo in her treatment - but she still had that twinkle and was always smiling. She never had a bad attitude about anything she had to do - I wish I could say the same for me.

Today, she is a super happy, mostly healthy 9 year old. She's finally gaining back a little weight and she getting taller by the minute. I am so grateful for today - so, so grateful for Kaidan. There are so many times she drives me to the end of my rope and I get so frustrated with her teasing her brothers, but she is a huge blessing in my life and I love her with all my heart. Life would not be the same without her and all her spunky-ness in our family.

She will have her oncology check up on Monday. We will check her blood counts and see how she's doing. I had a few moments of anger toward cancer today when Kaidan told me that her body just hurts everywhere. She said it starts in her chest and goes down her arms and back up to her head. Her legs hurt, her stomach hurts, everything hurts. I really don't think she even knows what "feeling good" feels like. It's not fair - she is doing so great and looking so healthy, but cancer has robbed her of so much. It makes me mad, sad, and every other emotion in between. But, I am quickly reminded that it could be worse and I really am grateful for Kaidan's life. She is a survivor...a 9 year old cancer survivor. Today, we are the luckiest people in the world.

Happy birthday Kaidan! I hope all of your wishes come true!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I cried all day on Millie's 5th birthday this year. We are so blessed to have these little miracles in our lives. Kaidan is such an amazing little girl. The
1st time I met her, I knew she was someone special. I am so sorry she is hurting. It's not fair that she already had to fight for her life and now she is paying for it. We love your whole family so much. Thank you for always being so supportive. You are amazing and so is that Kaidan of yours.